London Tube strikes called off at the last minute | News UK


epa12909332 Tube passengers walk at Oxford Circus station in London, Britain, 23 April 2026. London Underground services face further disruption as the second in a series of 24-hour strikes by National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) tube drivers goes ahead. The action follows a dispute over Transport for London's (TfL) proposal to allow train operators to move to a voluntary four-day week. EPA/TOLGA AKMEN
Londoners are breathing a sigh of relief after the announcement (Picture: EPA)

The Tube strikes planned for tomorrow and Thursday by London Underground drivers have been called off, the RMT union announced.

The strikes were planned over an ongoing dispute between the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union and London Underground bosses over Tube drivers’ condensed working hours.

The strikes were planned to run from 12 pm on Tuesday, May 19, until midday, Wednesday, May 20.

The second walkout would have been midday, Thursday, May 21, until midday Friday, May 22.

TfL has proposed to condense drivers’ five-day working week into four days of longer shifts, which RMT said would have consequences for drivers’ welfare – sparking the strike action.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.

A person rides a Lime bike as buses pass by during a tube strike represented by the RMT union in dispute with TFL over working patterns, in Tottenham Court Road in London, Britain, April 24, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Hold off on using a Lime Bike to reach work for another day (Picture: Reuters)

Speaking to Metro, Jared Wood, RMT’s London lead, previously said that under the changes, a driver could, in theory, start work at 3.45am and drive for five hours, then have a half-hour break before driving again for a maximum of 9.5 hours.

TfL said it would never bring in measures that would compromise safety, and added that the proposed changes would bring it in line with the shift patterns of national rail operators.

Last month, the RMT held two other walkout days, which saw crowded roads, queues for buses and chaos on the Overground.

The majority of London Underground lines were listed as disrupted or suspended, which pushed Londoners to find alternative means of transport like bicycles, Ubers, and good old-fashioned walking.

During the same walkouts, small businesses around Liverpool Street station told Metro that they had struggled on the first day of the Tube strike as their income fell.

The next planned walkouts, if an agreement isn’t reached, are planned for:

  • Midday on Tuesday, June 16 to midday on Wednesday, June 17
  • Midday on Thursday, June 18 to midday on Friday, June 19

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *